Monday, March 9, 2009

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a gift...

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a gift and not giving it.

I have to share a wonderful thing that happened to me this weekend! As you know I have been training to complete a half marathon in May with Team in Training benefiting The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. During my journey, I have received an out pour of support, thoughtful words of encouragement, monetary donations and most importantly I have gotten to know some wonderful people and some stories of survival! This commitment has made me aware of so many people in need and made me realize how blessed I am even on my toughest days!



Meet my neighbor Donnie Hodge, he is 25 years old, married to his high school sweetheart Chessa and has two beautiful children (Maddie’s daily playmates) 9 year old son Donnie and a 5 year old Andi.

This February his family was hit with a disheartening blow. Donnie been feeling ill for months experiencing terrible headaches, dramatic weight loss, inability to sleep and some days he is in so much pain he is unable to even stand or walk. Donnie is battling Stage 4 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, multiple brain tumors and bone cancer.

Since learning of his condition and his wonderfully positive attitude towards battling these illnesses, I wanted to help his family! His mother Vicki, wife Chessa and I hosted a fundraiser this weekend featuring Gold Canyon Candles, Gigi Hill Bags, Mary Kay, Cookie Lee and Avon. Each vendor donated at least 20% of their total sales (most being any commission they would have received) back to the Hodge family to cover their mounting medical bills. I have to tell you it was a smashing hit! I would guess we had about 800-1000 people that came through my home to purchase goods to benefit the Hodge family! In addition, we raised over $1500 dollars in just 3 short hours! I am astounded how many people came out to support this family even in such tough financial times. It just goes to show you that when times get tough, the tough get going!

If you would like to help Donnie and his family
Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo Branch reference account number 2323995361
Identification Number for Tax Purposes is 32-0270736

A special thank you to the vendors who helped us make this fundraiser possible and gave selflessly!

Cookie Lee: Christina Meek
Gold Canyon Candles: Seidi Woods
Gigi Hill Bags: Shawna Moriaty
Mary Kay: Lisa
Avon: Betty Meyers!

From the frontlines, over and out!

No comments: